Covid-19 Travel Regulations
Traveling to and from Rwanda during Covid-19
The information on this page will be updated periodically as requirements and protocols change. Comprehensive recourses can be found on the Rwanda Biomedical Centre website: https://rbc.gov.rw
Date of last update: 5/Aug/2021
Your international airline may have pre-boarding testing requirements. Please study the requirements of your airline and international airport(s) carefully. Most of our guests travel through Amsterdam and currently if you have a transfer in Amsterdam you do not need to show a negative NAAT (PCR) test result or rapid test result on arrival in the Netherlands. A transfer is when you change planes and continue your journey within a few hours, and in any case within 1 day without leaving the airport where you transfer. Please make sure to check the entry requirements of your final destination.
Arriving into Rwanda
Rwanda requires filling out a Passenger Locator Form submitted within 72 hours before your departure for Rwanda. https://travel.rbc.gov.rw/travel/. Once completed the traveler will receive a completion notification containing their Unique Health Code (UHC) which they will present upon arriving.
All travelers must present a negative PCR COVID-19 test certificate for a test conducted within 72 hours prior to departure (please have a print out of your certificate). The only accepted test is a SARSCoV 2 Real Time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) performed within 72 hours prior to departure. (meaning travelers must be tested and get results within 3 days of their first flight). Other tests, such as Rapid Diagnostics Tests (RDTs), are not accepted.
Upon arrival all travelers will be tested for COVID-19 upon arrival at the airport. This is subject to the payment of $60 USD ($50 USD for covid-19 test and $10 USD for specific logistics at the airport). For travelers who opt for a cash payment at arrival, the balance will be given in local currency (FRW). Travelers who do not use the payment methods provided on the Passenger Locator Form may be required to pay again at arrival and claim for refund for any previous payment made.
All travelers are required to wait 24 hours for the results of their COVID-19 test taken upon arrival in a designated transit hotel. All COVID-19 prevention measures announced by the Ministry of Health must be respected during waiting the period. Please note that this is mandatory for all incoming travelers, including those who have received COVID-19 vaccine.
Test Results: Test results can be checked on RBC website on the COVID-19 results portal by using phone number entered while filling Passenger Locator Form and Unique Health Code (UHC) received when submitting Passenger Locator Form prior to departure or by SMS and/or email. The turnaround time for results is 24hrs from the time the sample is collected. If the results are not available and you have exceeded 24 hours, please contact the hotel reception for quick follow up.
For complete details please reference the INFO NOTE FOR PASSENGERS ARRIVING OR DEPARTING FROM RWANDA issued as of 16/Mar/2021
Traveling in Rwanda
While traveling in Rwanda, standard Covid-19 protocols (masking, social distancing, and sanitizing) will be adhered to by your guide and those working in the tourism industry, while in public settings, airports/airplanes, and the common areas of accommodations.
Trekking requirements: You will be required to mask when you come in contact with the mountain gorillas. Prior to visiting Volcanoes National Park, Gishwati-Mukura National Park and Nyungwe National Park, a SARS-CoV 2 Real Time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) negative test certificate remains mandatory and should be taken within 72 hours prior to the visit. For Akagera National Park, an Antigen Rapid Test(RDT) taken within 72 hours prior to the visit is accepted.
Prior to departing Tanzania, Covid-19 testing (PCR and/or Rapid Test) will be required for most travelers. Please study the requirements of your airline and international airport(s) carefully. Covid-19 testing costs (PCR Test $50+facility fees pp / Rapid Test $25 pp) are the responsibility of the traveler. As your tour operator, we will help coordinate proper test timing and logistics.
PCR Test Procedures:
- PCR Tests should be administered no more than 3 days prior to your scheduled departure.
- Your Final Summary Schedule will indicate the date when your test should administered.
- Scheduling – T2R’s Country Director will register you for your pre-departure PCR Covid-19 test. Once your appointment has been made, our Rwanda Country Director will provide your guide with your appointment confirmation number.
- Test Location – testing sites will vary based on your specific travel itinerary. Most guests will have their test done in the Volcanoes National Park region in Musanze.
- Test Payment – payment will occur at the testing site – $60 USD ($50 USD for Covid-19 test and $10 USD administrative fee) by cash or credit.
- Testing Procedure (day of) –
- Masks are required at the testing sites.
- Have your passport available for check in as well as appointment confirmation (provided by your guide).
- You will fill out a form (for each traveler) upon arrival at the testing site. This information will be used to register you with RBC and provide you with your Unique Health Code (UHC).
- Testing can occur throughout the day. For many guests their test will be scheduled post-gorilla trekking due to turn around requirements.
- Please expect the process to take anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Results – Test results can be checked on RBC website on the COVID-19 results portal by using the phone number or email address provided on your testing site form as well as the Unique Health Code (UHC) provided at by your testing site. The turnaround time for results is 24hrs from the time the sample is collected. If the results are not available and you have exceeded 24 hours, please discuss with your guide who, along with our Country Director, will assist in the follow-up. Please have a print out of your certificate for departure.
Rapid Test Procedures:
- Currently not required for departure.