Covid-19 Travel Regulations
Traveling to and from Rwanda during Covid-19
The information on this page will be updated periodically as requirements and protocols change. Comprehensive resources can be found on the Rwanda Biomedical Centre website: https://rbc.gov.rw. Date of last update: 1/Feb/2023
Traveling to Rwanda
- Covid-19 testing is no longer a requirement prior to boarding the flight to Rwanda. However, regular Covid-19 testing is encouraged.
- The Passenger Locator Form is no longer a requirement before departure.
- An additional Covid test is no longer required upon arrival at Kigali International Airport
For complete details please reference the COVID-19 INFO NOTE FOR TRAVELERS issued as of 2/FEB/2023
Traveling in Rwanda
Face masks are no longer mandatory in Rwanda, but their use is encouraged in public indoor settings
Trekking requirements: You will be required to mask when you come in contact with the mountain gorillas and other primates. National parks require Covid tests. Testing is available at health facilities and other designated sites for 5,000 RWF (or US$5) for rapid antigen tests, and 50,000 RWF (or US$50) for PCR tests required for all visits to primates in Volcanoes, Nyungwe and Gishwati-Mukura National Parks. For Akagera National Park, an Antigen Rapid Test (RDT) taken within 72 hours prior to the visit is accepted.
Test results will be shared by SMS or email, and via the online portal accessible at www.rbc.gov.rw. In case of difficulty obtaining results, contact the RBC Medical Team on 114 or email@example.com.
A Covid test is no longer a requirement to depart Rwanda by air. However, Covid testing (at own cost) is available for all travelers whose final destination requires one at health centers and other
Please study the requirements of your airline and international airport(s) carefully. PCR Covid-19 testing ($60 USD) or Rapid Covid-19 testing ($10 USD) is the responsibility of the traveler. As your tour operator, we will help coordinate proper test timing and logistics.
PCR Test Procedures (if required):
- PCR Tests should be administered no more than 2 days prior to your scheduled departure.
- Your Final Summary Schedule will indicate the date when your test should administered.
- Scheduling – T2R’s Country Director will register you for your pre-departure PCR Covid-19 test. Once your appointment has been made, our Rwanda Country Director will provide your guide with your appointment confirmation number.
- Test Location – testing sites will vary based on your specific travel itinerary. Most guests will have their test done in the Volcanoes National Park region in Musanze.
- Test Payment – payment will occur at the testing site – $60 USD ($50 USD for Covid-19 test and $10 USD administrative fee) by cash or credit.
- Testing Procedure (day of) –
- Masks are required at the testing sites.
- Have your passport available for check in as well as appointment confirmation (provided by your guide).
- You will fill out a form (for each traveler) upon arrival at the testing site. This information will be used to register you with RBC and provide you with your Unique Health Code (UHC).
- Testing can occur throughout the day. For many guests their test will be scheduled post-gorilla trekking due to turn around requirements.
- Please expect the process to take anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Results – Test results can be checked on RBC website on the COVID-19 results portal by using the phone number or email address provided on your testing site form as well as the Unique Health Code (UHC) provided at by your testing site. The turnaround time for results is 24hrs from the time the sample is collected. If the results are not available and you have exceeded 24 hours, please discuss with your guide who, along with our Country Director, will assist in the follow-up. Please have a print out of your certificate for departure.
For additional information you can also reference the US Embassy websites or the following PDF documents issued by Rwanda, Tanzania and Kenya.
United States Embassy – Rwanda
United States Embassy – Tanzania
Covid-19 Travel Advisory No. 12 – Tanzania – PDF
Covid-19 Regulations – Kenya – Website